Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012: The Year I'll Try 52 New Recipes

2011 was not my favorite year, but some of my favorite things happened, I met some of the greatest people and went to some incredible places.  It wasn't the worst year, either, but it certainly was the most difficult one I've had.  But 2012 is here and it might not be better, but I will be more adventurous.  I tend to make fun resolutions.  One year my sister and I decided to wear more necklaces.  I still do!  Great resolution.  Last year I wanted to go to the movies at least ten times.  I did!  It was also a really great resolution.

This year, I'm going to do the following things:
 - See a lot of live music.  I'm thinking one show a month.  Manageable.  Fun.
 - Try a new recipe each week.  Delicious.  Fun.
 - Read two books a month.  Smart.  Fun
 - Complete two levels of yoga training.  Enlightening.  Fun.
 - Secret Resolutions.  They sound fun.  They aren't.  Well, a few are.

So, that's my list.  Now that it's in writing, it'll happen, right?  Do you have resolutions?


Chocolate Raspberry Pie 
My First recipe of the new year!  I created it on a whim because my friend Jared came over for a pie bake-off.  The crust is a recipe I've used before from Allergy-Free Desserts by Elizabeth Gordon.  I altered it just a bit to suit my own tastes.  The filling just came from my brain.  
Cookie Crust
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
5 tbs liquified coconut oil
3 tbs agave
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, combine the rice flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon and blend with your fingers until thoroughly mixed and all of the large lumps are gone; the mixture will be grainy.  Stir in the oil, honey, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.

Turn the mixture out into a 9-inch pie plate or tart pan with removable sides and press it into the pan with your fingers.  Refrigerate the crust, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes, then fill with filling of your choice.

Store the finished crust, refrigerated, until ready to use or for up to 2 days.


Chocolate Raspberry Filling
11 ounces dairy free/gluten free chocolate chips
1/2 - 3/4 cup of raspberry jam (I used seedless)
2 tbs palm shortening 
2 tbs soy-free earth balance
1 tbs vanilla extract

In a double boiler, (or just use a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water), combine the chocolate, jam (add more if you want more of the raspberry flavor), palm shortening and vanilla.  Stir constantly.  If you leave chocolate alone in this situation, it will burn.  You will be sad.  Once it all starts coming together, add the earth balance.  It will make it shiny and smooth.  Pour immediately over chilled pie crust.

Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.  You'll know it's done when the chocolate is set in the middle.  Slice, serve and enjoy!

Here's to a delicious year of new recipes, live music, great books and lots of yoga!

2 comments:

  1. You are one of my resolutions. :) I want to see you at least once this year, even if it isn't in the summer.

    Your list is great! I'll be cheering you on for those not-so-fun ones *hugs*

    <3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pie looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete