Friday, December 23, 2011

Last Minute Parties Make for Tasty Friday Nights

There are many songs about December being long, but this one has sort of flown by!  I can hardly believe my favorite day is upon me!  Christmas Eve Day: My Favorite!
Bread-less Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
I've been known to throw Christmas parties in the past...I wasn't planning on one this year, (December's flying by, but it's been long, too-how confusing!) but there were requests!  So, I didn't plan any details like inviting people, but I did plan what I wanted to wear and what I wanted to eat.  Here's a glimpse:
 
My favorite gluten free/vegan chocolate chip cookies.  I usually make them with my homemade pear sauce, but I didn't have any so I used store-bought unsweetened applesauce.  I can't pretend that I wasn't disappointed.  There's something magical about the cinnamon in pear sauce that brings the cookies to life for me.

Gluten free/vegan double chocolate chip cookies.  I added peppermint extract to make sure they tasted like Christmas! I make my cookies bite size so I can eat six or seven and feel like I really only had one normal cookie...

It's probably no surprise to those of you who know me, but desserts are my favorite.  That said, nothing speaks to my heart and soul the way mac and cheese does.  I made a giant dish of gluten free/vegan mac and cheese and my friends (most of whom adore gluten, meat and dairy) definitely loved it.  There was less than a full serving left at the end of the night.  Though I'd totally throw a desserts-only party, I served homemade chili in addition to the mac and cheese.  My friend Danielle made gorgeous stuffed mushrooms with bacon and cheese and Emily brought her very famous dip.  (I didn't have either, but they looked out of this world and smelled even better!)
Dipping my Peppermint Patties
Nothing beats Peppermint Patties.  The process is a bit of a long one because you must make the filling, let it chill, mold it into patties, let it chill, dip in chocolate and then let it chill!  I promise it's worth it, though.  The chilly result is one you'll want to share with friends (but make sure you keep enough for yourself!)
Bonus?  Peppermint Patties make a nice wreath!  

Merry Christmas, love, hugs and kisses from me to you.  May your days be merry, bright and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment